Saturday, June 30, 2012

Palimpsests, Bonnie and Clyde, Pink Pants, Adele's Future Child and The Beast

My brain feels as if the Manhattan Project did all of their trial runs in my head. And then huge gusts of wind came in through my left ear, and never escaped through the right. So many times has my mind been blown this week, it is blown if it isn't blown. Try figuring that one out.

So instead of telling you why life is quickly careening out of safe waters, I want to share the things that have kept me tethered tightly to the mainstay of my ship.

First of all, I discovered a new word today. It is a beautiful, descriptive, exquisite, brilliant word. And I'm pretty sure 99.5634% of the world's English speaking population doesn't know it exists.
Palimpest: noun. A parchment or the like from which writing has been partially or completely erased to make room for another text.
My life is a palimpsest. I scribble down theories, philosophies, political opinions, what I like in guys, what I hate in guys, what the best way to get home from campus is so fast that my hand cramps up. Before I've had the chance to rest my tired hand, or simply plug in my dying laptop, I have to quickly erase everything I wrote so I can make room for changing theories on life, boys and routes home.
I'm obsessed with this word.

Second of all, I discovered a new musical. Usually I'm not the type of girl to spend all of her time discovering new music on the YouTube. In fact, I'm never that girl. Good music finds me, and when it does, I listen to it. Sometimes I play it, but only if I'm in a secluded room in the HFAC or the Elm's Room of Requirement (a.k.a. the lobby that no one knows exists). This song found me today. I think I listened to it 50 times while doing creative writing homework. Overkill? Maybe... But for some reason, this song twisted its way into my heart and makes me feel happy and calm. Which is ironic, because it's entitled "Dyin' Ain't So Bad." Not exactly sunshine and roses, but still, it kept me sane.


Third of all, I wore bright pink pants today. For anyone that hasn't reveled in the beauty of a similar experience, I suggest you try it immediately. Power comes to wearers of pink pants.

Fourth of all, Adele is pregnant. I don't really think this helps me stay sane, but I thought it was funny imagining Adele belting "Set Fire to the Rain" to her little newborn as she falls asleep. Did you know Adele's name meant "noble" in Spanish?

Fifth of all, THE OLYMPICS are coming up. I ran 9 miles earlier this week and felt pretty accomplished, but watching the world greatest athletes is inspiring. Biggest OLYMPIC news of night come from the land of Jamaica. You all remember Usain Bolt, the most phenomenal, incredible, crazy runner from last OLYMPICS?



You remember? Goodie. So he got creamed in the 100 meter dash tonight, but a man known as The Beast. .11 seconds. In a race that's only about 9 seconds to begin with, that's a pretty huge margin. It just goes to  show that OLYMPIC champions have to fight for the top spot; no slacking off and expecting your reign to continue. Also, they are running so fast it's ridiculous. http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/trackandfield/story/_/id/8114660/2012-olympics-games-yohan-blake-beats-usain-bolt-100-meters-jamaican-trials.
THE OLYMPICS ARE COMING. GET READY.

So that's why my brain is still firmly lodged in my head at this late hour. If it weren't for these five things, you might be looking at a vastly different scene. Thank heavens for palimpsests, Bonnie and Clyde, pink pants, Adele's future child and The Beast.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that word... I will try to use it to sound super smart as often as I can!

    ReplyDelete