Saturday, August 6, 2011

Spirited Away

Anne Katherine's Mood Flow Chart:
Anne Katherine can't sleep because she is too busy thinking and her mind refuses to shut down. -->
Anne Katherine doesn't get enough sleep and becomes sleep deprived. -->
Anne Katherine gets crabby. -->
Solution to crabbiness: Inspiration #8. 

My medicine for this said crabbiness isn't the usual coffee, chocolate, flirting or sleep. Well... sometimes it's sleep. But most often it's a good, familiar book that will spirit me away into a different world for a few hours so I can forget about dumb things like paying for college, what to do on bad hair days, and how to persuade my mom to buy me more shoes. (I have a tough life. I know.)
Last night I was particularly crabby so I took out one of my favorite, most favorite, MOST FAVORITE books; The Hunger Games. If you haven't read it, please stop reading this post right now, go check it out from your public library and go read it. If you have some good excuse as to why you stop everything in your life to go to the library, well, I found the first two chapters of it online so you can get hooked without going anywhere. 
Just Click Right Here!
So this book rocks my world. The other book I always read when I need a good pick me up is Anne of the Island. Way different than the intense survivor feeling of the Hunger Games, but it holds its own with its sweet and happy tone. Also, Anne may be one of the most lovable characters ever created.
The nice things about books is they take your mind places you would never dream about otherwise. It unlocks whole worlds, scores of people and hundreds of new ideas. It forces you to think about the decisions people make, and the consequences that happen from them. 
I think Cornelia Funke described it best in her book Inkheart when she said, "If you take a book with you on a journey,... an odd thing happens: The book begins collecting your memories. And forever after you have only to open that book to be back where you first read it. It will all come into your mind with the very first words: the sights you saw in that place, what it smelled like, the ice cream you ate while you were reading it...yes, books are like flypaper--memories cling to the printed page better than anything else." 
Words of wisdom from the Funke herself.
Next time you get crabby at your life, I suggest reading instead of taking your anger out on the people in your life. However, if you see me reading I strongly suggest you don't interrupt me. Otherwise this will happen. 

You've been warned...

Love,
Anne with an E.

No comments:

Post a Comment